Thursday, July 19, 2012

Puzzle - Béatrice Coron: All Around Town

I used to do a lot of puzzles when I was younger.  As an adult I haven't done them as much, but my wife and I decided to try one after we got this nice mat where we can roll up the puzzle and return to it later.  We couldn't do them otherwise; our two cats would destroy any progress.

Anyway, I normally don't blog about stuff like this, but felt rather proud upon completing the below puzzle recently:


This was a really hard puzzle.  Like, probably the hardest one I've ever done.  I like to think I'm pretty good at them but I struggled in places.  The way the pieces were cut compared to the black & white sections, along with so many sections looking similar, made it really hard to figure out where they went based on the picture.  It took us many hours to put this one together.  You can get a better idea how small the pieces are if you click the picture to enlarge.

The puzzle is 1,000 pieces, based on a "papercut" by Béatrice Coron, a French artist.  It's the left half of a piece she did for the New York MTA (subway, transit, etc).  The full piece can be seen below.


If I'm ever in NYC again, I'm going to be on the lookout for this in the subway.  Also, my wife and I plan to head up to San Francisco in the coming month, as Coron is being featured in a group exhibition called Exploding the Codex: The Theater of the Book, at the San Francisco Center for the Book, June 1 - August 31.  Some of her stuff looks amazing, will be cool to see it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment